Our Brains Aren’t Made for a MarathonAs anxiety disorders and depression patients are increasing by the day, it’s time to rethink our hectic schedules. Brain based coaching states that our brains aren’t designed to stay alert for long hours. In olden times, hunting and gathering food required only a few hours. The other time was spent relaxing and socializing. Now, we spend over 10 hours working, doing the same thing all through the day. After coming home, we’re again in our phones or the TV or some other stimulating activity. We get little sleep and the next day, we’re back to living a busy life.
Our brain works more and is more active than any other organ or muscle in the body. Neuro coaching states that we can focus only for 90 to 120 minutes before our brain needs some rest. If you honor the natural rhythm of your brain, you will find yourself to be more creative, innovative and productive at work.
How Can You Take Brain Breaks?After you achieve a good goal, you need some time to relax and recharge your brain. According to neuro coaching, simple activities like the following can give your brain some time off.
1. Go Outside –When you go out in the sunshine, it increases the production of Vitamin D and serotonin and makes you feel good. If you can’t step out, try looking outside a window for a few minutes.
2. Take a Nap –Taking a short afternoon nap can reduce sleepiness and enhance your brain’s cognitive function. Plus, it also boosts your short-term memory and your mood.
3. Unplug –In our technologically advanced age, this is extremely important. Don’t answer your phone, turn off your TV and computers for a few minutes. The silence and peace is really good for your brain as per leading brain based coaching techniques.
4. Take Some Play Breaks –You can play a round of cards with your friends or colleagues or play a small game on your phone or computers. When your brain gets an opportunity to solve problems, it functions better. Just remember to do it for a short time and then get back to work!
5. Invest in Exercise –It is one of the best things you can do for your brain. Leadership coach in India recommends simple things like walking, taking the stairs or parking away from your destination. Stretching for five minutes at work can do a lot of benefit to your productivity.
After smaller breaks and downtime, your brain releases more alpha waves that make you feel good. By opting for brain based coaching, you will understand the importance of downtime and you’ll probably book the much-needed vacation too!